This quick and easy crumb bar recipe starts with fresh cherry filling. Add on a delicious buttery crumb topping to the sweet fruit filling to make this perfect anytime dessert!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, cooled to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted, each sliced in half
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a square 8” baking pan with parchment paper. Butter the sides and bottom of lined pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cherries, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and sugar. Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and stir with a fork until the mixture resembles crumbs.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of mixture.
- Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan.
- Spread cherry filling over the crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over cherries.
- Sprinkle sugar over crumb topping.
- Bake bars for 23 to 25 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Cool completely before cutting.