- 400ml pure (thin) cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 4 thick slices square brioche
- 60g unsalted butter
- 8 figs, halved
- 1/4 cup (60ml) Grand Marnier
- Creme fraiche, to serve
- Place cream, eggs, vanilla and 2 tbs sugar in a bowl. Whisk to combine. Soak brioche in egg mixture for 20 seconds, then place on a plate ready to cook.
- Melt 30g butter in a large frypan over medium heat. In two batches, cook brioche for 1-2 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- To make the caramel, wipe pan clean and add 1/4 cup (55g) sugar and remaining 30g butter. Stir over medium-high heat until melted and sugar dissolves. Cook for 2-3 minutes until golden, then add Grand Marnier and cook for a further 1-2 minutes until slightly reduced. Set aside to cool.
- Scatter remaining 2 tsp sugar over the cut side of the figs. Place a clean frypan over medium-high heat, then add figs, cut-side down, and cook for 1 minute or until caramelised.
- Serve figs on brioche French toast with creme fraiche and caramel.